I have already posted pictures of lovely churches built of wood which we saw in the Carpathians. Of course, wood was the available building material. As I researched, I found that wooden churches are typical in villages all over.
In some areas we found that these structures had been overlaid with metal and were very beautiful. Wikipedia reports: "Unique to Hutsul churches is the use of tin or metalwork in the upper parts of the church, which are also used in home architecture of the region".
This particular church in Pistyn from 1600 was said to be beautiful as a wooden structure. One writer regretted it had been covered with metal. I found the result very stunning.
I loved the details in embossing various metal panels, the multi-layers and the intricate cut/stamp work
This little building shows such details
One article said that domes, in particular onion-shaped ones, began to be constructed after the Mongol invasion. They are good for helping snow slide off! Of course, they have become the signature of Orthodox churches.